Monday, July 19, 2010

Finally a good 2007 Chateauneuf !



While I have obviously not tasted every 2007 Chateauneuf du Pape, the several ones I tried left me wondering. Wondering what the winemakers were trying to achieve, beside getting 12583 points from Uncle Bobby. Indeed, over the top, over alcoholic, over everything to my taste, I think I can count on one hand the ones I liked (try Charvin, Vieux Donjon, Vieux Telegraphe).

Monpertuis is not a domain I was very familiar with so I was intrigued and impatient to try this baby. Even more that Philippe Cambie, the Michel Rolland of Chateauneuf, have been consulting for them since 2000. Did he push them to make more modern wines? riper and smoothier?

Well, you have to applaud such a good effort from Paul Jeune and his son Simon. The 2007 Monpertuis Chateauneuf Classique was beautiful, singing in Provencal all the way.

Grapes are coming from various terroirs: from sandy soils to rocky to calcareous and clay soils.
Using around 70% Grenache and from Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsault and other varieties.
For this cuvée all the grapes are destemmed before fermentation in cement tanks.
The wine is then aged for a period in large foudres (50 to 70 hl) and barriques (225l) which are usually from 2 to 5 years old.

Obviously young, it is already balanced. Very fresh nose, especially for a 2007, with raspberry, strawberry and garrigue. A little darker fruits on the palate, it stays balanced. Never jammy, med acidity, this is very promising.Structured, firm tannins on the very long finish. Fruit forward right now, this should age very well. Bravo !

No comments:

Post a Comment